A Little History
Serving the community for almost 300 years!!
The first church in Rocky Hill was built in 1727 to serve “Stepney Parish” of the Town of Wethersfield, CT. By 1800 there was desire for a new church building, and in 1805 construction was begun. The current church building was dedicated in 1808. The Parish House addition was completed in 1952 and another addition, to add classrooms, elevator and access for persons with disabilities was added later. The building is noted for its fine Georgian architecture. It was documented in the 1830s as part of the History American Buildings survey and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
The Rocky Hill Congregational Church occupies a prominent position in the town center of Rocky Hill, on a triangular parcel bounded by Church, Old Main, and Center Streets. It is a two story gable-roof wood frame structure resting on a brownstone foundation. It has distinctive late Georgian styling, with a projecting gabled entry section with corner pilasters, and three doorways. The central doorway is framed by engaged columns and topped by triangular modillioned pediment, while the flanking doorways are framed by pilasters and topped by an entablature and modillioned cornice. A three-stage square tower, housing a clock and belfry rises at a small setback from the projecting entry section.